Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Recipe - Braised Pork with Borlotti Beans & Wine

I've mentioned before that there are times when I get stuck in a rut and end up cooking the same dishes over and over. In order to break the cycle, I often get Nicola to look through my magazines & cook books to see if she can see anything that she would like me to make an attempt at. Other times I simply pick out a meal that i know i will enjoy and cross my fingers that Nicola will enjoy it too. Of course, we do have some differences in the things that we like and there are times when I try something new that doesn't make it back to the table for a second time. Thankfully, the meal that I prepared tonight, courtesy of Olive Magazine, will be something that I'll be eating again as we both loved it!

Through the week I like to be able to cook dishes that can be on the table in 20-25 minutes, tonight's dinner was chosen based on the fact that there were very few ingredients and that it looked like a quick and easy recipe to follow.

Ingredients (serves 2)

  • 2 pork chops or steaks
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • Small glass white wine
  • 300ml chicken stock
  • Borlotti beans, 400g tin
  • Small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 200g spinach, wilted
Method




  1. Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a wide shallow pan with a lid. Season the pork then brown the meat well all over, including any fat on the pork. Once browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft and golden. Add the wine, and bubble until reduced by half then add the chicken stock, beans and pork back to the pan. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Mix in the chopped parsley at this point.
  3. Serve the chops on a bed of wilted spinach with the beans and sauce.
I could not believe just how tasty this meal was, especially as the list of ingredients was so small. Quick and easy whilst still managing to be a healthy balanced plate of food. So if you are a fan of flavours, then I'm sure that this delicious dish will become a firm favourite!




Post a Comment